Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Pregnant Lady is Crazy...But She Has a Freezer Full of Food!

The saga of nesting continues...

Most of you who know Mike well know that he LOVES a home cooked meal. In fact, I know that's part of the reason he married me was because of my culinary skills. Now let me be perfectly clear here. I'm no top chef, but I feel quite at home in the kitchen. I, too, love to eat, and nothing makes me happier than trying a new recipe that turns out perfect and delicious. Mike can cook, but his best dishes are prepared completely on the grill, and usually marinated and prepared by me. And he doesn't enjoy cooking the way I do, so that's why I usually take on the food prep in our house. Kind of how I don't enjoy doing any yard work but planting flowers...so he does everything outside :).

Now I'm certain that during the first few weeks after we bring home little Michael, we will not starve. We have lots of family around, not to mention several great restaurants from which we can order take out. However, it can't hurt to have a freezer full of meals right? So I made my way to Super Target first thing yesterday morning and bought a crazy amount of groceries. The lady checking me out must have thought I was preparing for the apocalypse. Or maybe when she saw my giant belly she inferred that I was preparing for the impending birth of a baby.

Anywho, by the time 6:00 rolled around yesterday, I made the following: a pot of chicken noodle soup, a pot of beef and vegetable soup, two pans of green chili chicken enchiladas, two pans of chicken tetrazzini, and two pans of lasagna. The soup went into the freezer in individual containers and everything else went into disposable foil pans.

I'm crazy, I know. And by 6:00 yesterday, this pregnant body was tired. I guess 7 hours in the kitchen will do that. But we now have so many great things from which to choose! When we're both exhausted and just wanting a home cooked meal, we'll have it!

I went to the doctor on Tuesday, and everything still looks good. No new news, really, other than we're just playing the waiting game. There is a possibility I could be induced a little early, which sounds like a fabulous idea to me. We're ready to meet this little man, so as long as he's cooked, I'm good with having a July baby! I go back on Tuesday for my 37 week checkup, and I'm really hoping for good news, as in, you're leaking amniotic fluid and let's stay and have a baby!

I'm going to pack my bag today. Mike is SO worried about it for some reason. I guess I understand his point of view...If we don't have much extra time, and he's the one having to pack for me, he's convinced he won't get everything on my list. I am a little particular when it comes to toiletries (I'm vain, remember?!), so I'm doing my best to get travel size and duplicate supplies so I can do most of the packing myself. If I end up being induced a little early, this shouldn't be a problem, as we'll have time to get everything in order before we go to the hospital. I just don't think I'm lucky enough to go into labor early, so all of this advanced packing is just a precaution, to make Mike feel a little better!

We took a baby care and CPR class on Thursday night. As silly as it might seem, it really put my mind at ease to have some instruction from a professional. I know people have been having babies for thousands of years without baby care classes, but we learned a lot of really helpful things that made this pregnant lady feel much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment